Extending court date

Hanford, CA |

can i get my court date extended a few months so that i can obtain a good lawyer?

You usually can do it by asking for it at court. Sometimes you need a good reason, sometimes not. If the case has a possible jail sentence, getting a lawyer is a good reason. If you cant be there or need time to prepare, its also good. Just don't go at the last minute, especially if the opposing party needs to have witnesses there. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
Geno Law Firm
Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-691-GENO (4366) Office
703-691-4774 Fax
info@BrianGeno.com Email www.NovaAttorney.com Web

I presume your case is criminal since it is posted in that forum. Unfortunately I doubt a court will give you two months to find a lawyer. Two weeks is more like it. If you haven't been to court at all yet you should ask when you go for the services of the public defender. You may qualify.

Any court will give you a reasonable continuance to retain an attorney. Most courts consider "a few months" to be longer than reasonable. You can expect a detailed enquiry as to why you need months rather than weeks, so be prepared.

Generally, you will certainly be given some time to hire a lawyer of your choice. However, a few months is probably not a reasonable time. I would suggest that you plan on only receiving a continuance of a couple weeks. This, however, should afford you enough time to research and find an attorney that can handle your matter.