Extending court date

Asked over 4 years ago - Hanford, CA

can i get my court date extended a few months so that i can obtain a good lawyer?

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . I presume your case is criminal since it is posted in that forum. Unfortunately I doubt a court will give you two months to find a lawyer. Two weeks is more like it. If you haven't been to court at all yet you should ask when you go for the services of the public defender. You may qualify.

2. Ben Walter Pesta II

Answered . Any court will give you a reasonable continuance to retain an attorney. Most courts consider "a few months" to be longer than reasonable. You can expect a detailed enquiry as to why you need months rather than weeks, so be prepared.

3. Matthew Lee Spiegel

Answered . Generally, you will certainly be given some time to hire a lawyer of your choice. However, a few months is probably not a reasonable time. I would suggest that you plan on only receiving a continuance of a couple weeks. This, however, should afford you enough time to research and find an attorney that can handle your matter.

4. Brian Daniel Geno

Answered . You usually can do it by asking for it at court. Sometimes you need a good reason, sometimes not. If the case has a possible jail sentence, getting a lawyer is a good reason. If you cant be there or need time to prepare, its also good. Just don't go at the last minute, especially if the opposing party needs to have witnesses there. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
    Geno Law Firm
    Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
    10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    703-691-GENO (4366) Office
    703-691-4774 Fax
    info@BrianGeno.com Email www.NovaAttorney.com Web