Expuntion in a civil offense - municipal violation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I was arrested for theft (shoplifting). No court, no ticket. The case was dismissed. I would like to expunge this. I have called two lawyers and they told me they can't help me because my case is not a criminal case. They said they only work with criminal cases. Can the record be expunged? What kind of lawyer can help me?

1. M Elizabeth Gunn

6

Answered . Actually, what they meant was not that your theft was a civil case, but that expunctions are civil cases. Which is true, and for that reason (and because expunction law is a bit complex), most criminal defense attorneys don't handle them. If your case was dismissed, you will be eligible for an expunction. It's not a certainty that you can get one right away, though that is sometimes possible. If it's not, on a Class C offense, you might have to wait up to two years to be eligible for expunction. I do handle expunctions, and you're welcome to contact me about your case if you're still trying to find an attorney.

2. Carmine John Giardino

5

Answered . www.giardinolawfirm.com. Any lawyer, criminal or civil, can handle an expungement. My law firm does both criminal and civil.

3. Richard Timothy Jones

4

Answered . This is a criminal case and it can be expunged. There may be a time issue in having to wait. Contact the local bar association or the state bar for a referral.

Austin Expunction Lawyer
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    512-495-1813

4. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . If you were arrested, you have a criminal record and you do need to expunge it. It sounds like you are eligible to do that, but you need a local attorney to doublecheck for you. This is definitely a matter for a criminal defense attorney.