Expungement for California DUI. I got a DUI in California 2000 and I wanted to see if I can get it expunged?

San Diego, CA |

Facing DUI in Illinois and IL. goes back for ever and counts all DUI's . Anyway to not have DUI from 200 count as a prior conviction?

Sorry but even if it gets expunged it will count as a prior

2. No. Expungement will not help. It happened. That's all Illinois needs to know.

3. You can get it "expunged" in California, however, its not a true expungement. The conviction will remain on your record. All the "expungement" will do is add a note that indicates the charge has been dismissed pursuant to Cal. Penal code 1203.4. In California, what is commonly known as an "expungement" is more accurately described as a dismissal. The conviction is never removed, so it is unlikely that it will help with the Illinois case.

Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

4. Expungement doesn't mean it is not priorable, at least according to CA law. See CA Penal Code 1203.4.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

5. Expungement is not an eraser. It will count in Illinois.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

6. Whether it counts in Illinois is not for a California attorney to tell you. But even an "expunged" DUI conviction in CA would still be priorable in CA.

DUI topics