Skip to main content

Expungement, doing it yourself vs. Hiring an attorney.

Marietta, GA |

I am all set to apply for a proper expungement. I meet the criteria. My question is as follows;

1. Is this a onetime shot, in other words can I do it myself and hire a lawyer if I fail the first time?
2. Will my chances diminish on the second go around?
3. If I do it myself, could the record end up being just restricted vs. expunged. (Assuming I do a poor to average job.)

My lawyer did an Excellent, Excellent job, sadly it’s just too hard to get him on the phone and I need to get moving.

Attorney Answers 4


you need a lawyer. It is not worth the risk and you don't even know if you could do a second request for instance.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




This is not helpful and gets my question off on the wrong foot. i have three good points to address.

Jeff Krigel

Jeff Krigel


Expungements are purely based off your state specific statutes. An attorney will typically give you a free in person consultation and only charge of he feels you will be successful. I frequently turn down people because they simply don't qualify.


Set up an appointment with your lawyer for a face to face conference. I cannot answer your separate questions as I do not practice in GA.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Mark as helpful


YOU DO NOT HAVE A LAW DEGREE. YOU ARE NOT A LAWYER. It bothers me when people try and do things that require a doctorate in law themselves. Hire an attorney for this it is too important to mess up. Do you operate on yourself too?

Mark as helpful


If you mess something up you can reapply. An expungement and a restriction are now the same thing in Georgia.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics