Expungement, doing it yourself vs. Hiring an attorney.

Asked 9 months ago - Marietta, GA

I am all set to apply for a proper expungement. I meet the criteria. My question is as follows;

1. Is this a onetime shot, in other words can I do it myself and hire a lawyer if I fail the first time?
2. Will my chances diminish on the second go around?
3. If I do it myself, could the record end up being just restricted vs. expunged. (Assuming I do a poor to average job.)

My lawyer did an Excellent, Excellent job, sadly it’s just too hard to get him on the phone and I need to get moving.

1. Ian Zimmerman

Pro

Answered . YOU DO NOT HAVE A LAW DEGREE. YOU ARE NOT A LAWYER. It bothers me when people try and do things that require a doctorate in law themselves. Hire an attorney for this it is too important to mess up. Do you operate on yourself too?

2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Answered . If you mess something up you can reapply. An expungement and a restriction are now the same thing in Georgia.

3. Jeff Krigel

1

Answered . you need a lawyer. It is not worth the risk and you don't even know if you could do a second request for instance.

4. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . Set up an appointment with your lawyer for a face to face conference. I cannot answer your separate questions as I do not practice in GA.