Expiring passport and expiring f-1 visa status, getting married to citizen, what do I do?

Asked 11 months ago - York, PA

I'm a F-1 visa student who has a passport that expires at the end of this year. (today is Aug 26th)
I may not be able to continue this semester due to financial reason.
My school starts in a few weeks, so my f-1 status is expiring.
However, my girlfriend (citizen) and I are planning to get married. And I read from somewhere that expired passport might be a huge problem for me to obtain green card and citizenship later on.
would it be okay if we were to get married in a week or two?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . It doesn't matter if your passport has expired. You can still get a green card through marriage.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I answered this question for you in your other post.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

Answered . Your consulate here in the U.S. will renew your passport as long as you are in legal status. I suggest you get that done right away.
    When you marry a USC and adjust through your spouse any overstay is forgiven. Before you overstay make sure your plans are sure as your status will be affected by the overstay if you do not adjust through your spouse.