Skip to main content

Expired work authorization

Houston, TX |

My work authorization card expired month ago, I applied for a renewal, received a receipt but my current employer can't accept it. I know I have to apply for renewal 90 days before my current one expires, but I moved and the date of hearing have been changed less than a month before my EAD was expired. So my question: Is there any solution for my case? I can't work, nobody accept my receipt, I'm in TX and they are very strict abut this stuff.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Not really, you are authorized to work until the application is approved.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. A receipt for an EAD is not proof of work authorization. You need to have the actual EAD in order to work.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. The receipt for the EAD extension is not proof of authorization to work, with limited exceptions.

  4. I concur with my fellow colleagues! You cannot legally work until the EAD is approved.

  5. Make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office. You may be able to get an interim card.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics