Expired M-1 visa and I-20. Valid I-94

A friend came to L.A. on M-1 visa last year March. She wanted to take more courses from the school so she requested a extension on her visa. The school then gave her the I-539 form. But before she could hand in the form. She was told she doesn't have to fill up the I-539 because her I-94 expires this year. However, her I-20 and visa has expired last year July. She is leaving real soon. She is leaving a few days before her I-94 expires. Her course ended like 5 months ago. She has been living here cos she thought she was allow to stay until her I-94 expires but someone just told her recently that she can't. She is really worried now. What will happen to her at the airport? Will anything happen to her?

She won't be given a hard time when she leaves ... but, she may have difficulty coming back to the US.

There is something 'wrong' with your facts. How did she get an I-94 that was valid beyond her other documents?

Meet with an immigration lawyer.

If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

when she entered L.A. last march, the immigration officer wrote it this year.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

She should meet with the person at her school that signed the M paperwork.

Will her i-20 and visa be checked at the airport when she is at the airport? Will she be questioned?

I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

The school told her she didn't need to fill up the I-539. So now cos of that she is in trouble?