Skip to main content

Expired I-94 and F1 VISA but valid I-20

Boston, MA |

Hi. I have entered the US on an F1 VISA as a high school student. My I-94 and visa have expired around two years ago but my I-20 is valid till late 2013. Did I violate the immigration laws? Will I be allowed to apply for future VISA?

Some further details: When I came to US, I did not bring my I-20. The CBP officer wrote a date on my I-94 and asked me to ask my school for an I-20 before this date. I guess that's why he never wrote D/S on it. I don't know if this will impact my immigrant status or prohibit me from applying for future VISA.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you came in as an F-1, your I-94 should be "D/S"

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. You had to file for an extension. Do it now.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. What do you mean "my I-94...expired around two years ago"? It should say "D/S".

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics