Experienced Immigration Attorney answer please

33410 |

Good morning, I applied for asylum here in US, got letter says it was Recommended for Approval.
But it's been more than 9 month,still didn't get anything else.
I want to travel to third country to see my relatives,how long more I should wait the decision.
What kind backround it could be takes so long,(even for an employer of small company doesn't even take 2 weeks to make backround check)

Answered 9 minutes ago. Immigration background checks are not like background checks completed by employers so making a comparison is unrealistic. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

In the asylum context, 9 months may not be unreasonable depending on the country you are from and the basis for your claim. A "denial" comes quick because once USCIS decides that an alien is ineligible for asylum they don't need a comprehensive background check. An NTA can be issued and the case referred to the Immigration Court. Once again, an apples and oranges comparison.

I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case. He or she should be able to give you an idea as to what you should expect and what your next move should be if more than a reasonable amount of time has passed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

You may want to contact an immigration attorney and work with him/her to make inquiries with the asylum office to make sure your case is on track for a decision. While there is no set time for adjudicating asylum applications, the asylum office does have a duty to make a decision in a reasonable period of time.

Nine months does seem like a long time to me. I agree with my colleague that you should get someone to correspond with the asylum office and determine what is causing the hold up.