Expedite N400 for oath ceremony.

Cortland, NY |

Hi,
I passed my interview on 10/02/2013 and I didn't get a letter for oath ceremony. My mom is very sick and needs one one help and I need to go abroad to help my mom as soon as I got my oath ceremony and also my husband will go for a sabbatical in early December . Can I write for expedite request? How should I write and what should I include? Will they accept or should I wait?

You can still travel with your green card. Just let your local office know that you will be away, so they can schedule you for a later date.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Thanks. I was planning to write a letter to my local office and request expedite for oath ceremony since the local office is very far from us.( I need to go by plane.) Does it have to be infopass? Is it better? Also my dad sent my mom's reports, I can add them to my letter but I may not add my husband's sabbatical job's paperwork .So in this case, should I just mention about my mom or can I also mention my husband's sabbatical although I may not get a proof for that. Is it possible to write an expedite request for N400 oath? Also I was wondering can they re schedule it at a very late date, like one year. So far I haven't travelled that long but it might be one year because of my husband's sabbatical, does it break the continuous residency? Sorry for asking a lot of questions but can I take the oath ceremony in a diffent country's embassy or consular?

Schedule an InfoPass.

Bring a letter from the doctor proving that she is seriously ill.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Thanks. I was planning to write a letter to my local office and request expedite for oath ceremony since the local office is very far from us.( I need to go by plane.) Does it have to be infopass? Is it better? Also my dad sent my mom's reports, I can add them to my letter but I may not add my husband's sabbatical job's paperwork .So in this case, should I just mention about my mom or can I also mention my husband's sabbatical although I may not get a proof for that. Is it possible to write an expedite request for N400 oath? Thank you.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

No, do NOT waste time writing a letter ... it will disappear in never-never-land. To address this properly, you need to do in person. Get a specific letter from the doctor ... don't expect immigration to read medical reports. Don't talk about the sabbatical ... it is not a good reason for expediting the ceremony. Again, go in person.

Ok. Today I called customer service and they told me they can put expedite request on the phone. I told both my mom and the sabbatical, and told it will be very hard for me if I don't get my oath ceremony in November.They gave me a confirmation number and told I will receive a mail or email in five days. She took all the necessary information on the phone, so I will wait until next Wednesday and then if they don't do anything maybe I I will schedule an infopass. Thank you fir the advice I appeciate it!

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Personally, I think that this was a big mistake. The people on the 800-phonenumber don't work for CIS, they are 'contractors' and all the person that you talked to did was send an e-mail. An InfoPass is a face-to-face meeting and takes place in the same building as the interview decision-makers have their office. Plus, you could have then shown the live human the doctor's letter. I hope you find success and don't get the standard "we're working on it" form letter they usually send in response to calls on the 800-number.

Thanks.

Try to schedule an infopass and explain. I doubt it would help but you can try.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Recommended articles about Immigration