Ex-wife will not agree to come off my health insurance, I'm getting remarried. What can I do?

Seattle, WA |

We divorced 7 years ago. Our divorce didn't have any drama, and I agreed to keep her on my health insurance since I didn't think it would be a problem at work. Now I'm getting remarried, and my ex-wife won't agree to come off my health insurance....

Your question confuses me because you usually cannot insure an ex-spouse on health insurance, except for the first few months after divorce. I would tell your employer that you need to remove your ex-wife from the coverage, because they really have no choice. However, I would like to read your decree first, to see if you are required to pay for substitute insurance if she is dropped off of yours at your employers.

Under most jurisdictions, you cannot keep an ex spouse on your medical insurance plan. You should immediately notify your employer that you are divorced. You should also review your divorce agreement with an experienced family law attorney, because you may have agreed to pay for her health insurance coverage as a form of spousal support. If this is the case, if her insurance is canceled, you might have to provide her with alternate coverage. Hope this information is helpful.

Recommended articles about Divorce