Skip to main content

Ex wife slandering my name and making false statements about me on Facebook.

Reynoldsburg, OH |

My ex wife has been slandering my name and making false statements about me on Facebook. One of the false comments was that I lost my job due to showing up to work drunk. That is totally false. Can I sue her or press charges against her for this?

Attorney Answers 3


Report abuse to FB. Have a local lawyer send her a cease and desist letter.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with counsel. On a separate note, you can sue whoever you want for whatever you want, the question will be, will you win. To prevail, you would need to show some harm to you that resulted SPECIFICALLY due to her posts. Can you prove this ? Slander is a difficult case to make. The question is how much money is it worth to sue her ? If you came into my office, if I would even consider taking this case, I would require a $5,000 retainer and I would bill hourly. I would consult a local attorney, with specifics. As for "pressing charges" I do not see any illegal actions based on what you have set forth her. If she is "harassing you" you can simply de-friend her. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is possible that you have a claim for defamation. In Ohio, defamation is a false statement of fact that is published by another and proximately causes harm to one's reputation. The difficulty here is showing damages. In other words, you must show how the statements have harmed your reputation. However, if one of the statements suggested you worked drunk and therefore had a tendency injure your reputation in your trade, damages may be presumed under a defamation per se theory.

These types of cases can be heavily factual. You should speak with an attorney who can go over the facts and determine the strength of your case.

Alexander Montgomery
Cornetet, Meyer, Rush & Kirzner

No attorney-client relationship implied or accepted without a signed fee agreement. This response is theoretical only and for purposes of discussion. Attorney is not liable for any opinion expressed herein. Attorney is licensed in Ohio only.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics