Ex wife kept full tax refund check

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

Before I was legally seperated from my ex she, our taxes were filed with the same accountant we had been using for years. They were filed jointly. We got seperated during this time. Before the refund was arrived we got seperated legally. The return came back in both our names. She kept the full amount of $7000 n change and cashed it. Which meant she forged my signature to be able to do that. Do I have any way of getting justice in this? Or is it "water under the bridge" ?

First, Florida does not recognize "legal separation." That said, you are not legally separated until you are divorced, though for purposes of property/asset allocation the court will consider you separated either from the date of filing or the date contained in the petition if agreed to by the other party. If you wife forged your signature, that is a crime. Yes, you can get your half of the return through the courts in the process of your divorce.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce