Ex-wife (in Nebraska) won't allow children to visit non-custodial dad (in Texas) & violated custody agreement

Asked about 5 years ago - Houston, TX

The ex-wife constantly turns her phone off or changes numbers, making it difficult for my fiance to talk to his kids. She lived in Kansas, and moved to Nebraska...telling him via certified mail after the move of the new address and phone number. According to the court papers, she was required to notify him before. He asked for the kids to visit for a week last year, and she said no because she 'doesn't trust him' or any of the alternatives he gave (for the kids to stay with his mother or his brother). It has now been 3 years since he has seen his kids. The papers say a mediator is req. before he can take her back to court to change the custody order, but where would this happen and how much does this cost? He is up to date on all child support. What are his options?

Additional information

Child custody/support orders were executed in Kansas.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Patricia Faye Bushman

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . A lot depends on where the original orders were done. It sounds like maybe Kansas? If so, a modification would have to be done in Kansas, or in Nebraska once the kids have been there 6 months. Depending on what the original custody orders say, you may be able to enforce his visitation rights, but he would have to talk with an attorney in Nebraska for that.

    good luck.

Related Topics

Custody agreement and child custody

A custody agreement is a legally binding agreement between parents about how they will divide up parenting duties and living arrangements.

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,388 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,388 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering