Ex son in law signed Promissory to pay back 1/2 of the 20 thousand that was lent to him and daughter 7 years ago - home downpay.

Asked about 1 year ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

He is now refusing to pay anything. He is saying that it was a gift but yet he signed the promissory note to pay it back to us. I have called the bank and they have no record of anything regarding a monetary gift. Can I file a small claims and get him to return the monies that we took from our retirement to help him with the mortgage??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John A. Jackson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, you will not be able to file in small claims unless you want to limit your recovery to $7,500.00. You will have to file in Court of Common Pleas to attempt to recover the full $10,000.00. Good luck.

    This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any... more
  2. John R.C. Bowen

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . No. Small claims courts/magistrates courts can only handle claims for $7,500 or less. If you want to waive your claims for repayment of the full amount, you could sue in Magistrate's Court, otherwise you will need to bring the claim in Circuit Court. You should consult with an attorney to help you, particularly if the note signed by your former son in-law provides for attorney fees in the event of default.

    This response does not create an attorney client relationship, and is for general information purposes only. You... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering