Ex roommate wants to bill me for damages, has no proof? I was a co-tenant with my roommate, I gave her a security deposit $1000.

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Clara, CA

I've since moved out, she signed the lease again in her name. Won't return my security deposit, claims she had a walk-through with management, they estimated $2000 carpet damage/claims it needs to be replaced. She wants to bill me for this but didn't send any copies of the estimates from the management - I asked for proof and she just said she's going to bill me for the whole thing. I tried contacting the leasing office but they won't give me info as I'm no longer on the lease. She says she can't return my deposit as it'll go towards paying for my damages. Claims there is a stain in the carpet that won't be removed by carpet cleaning alone. She has re-newed the lease, property manager says a walk-through isn't done until the last person leaves. What would be the best way to handle this?

Additional information

I'd like to know if I would be held liable for these "damages" even though she won't give me an estimate/the management won't give me any details about the unit. Would I be responsible for these damages if/when she moves out? I should also add that she moved someone in the same day I moved out. She was subletting illegally and is claiming carpet damage while someone else has been living there.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Douglas Whitney Weitzman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . First of all, since you had a lease with the landlord, if he allowed you to move out, and then re-signed with the new tenant, he must follow CC 1950.5 and account for the security deposit under the old lease. You were on the lease, he should account to you. If he does not, he may have violated his obligations to you and could be liable for 2 times the amount that you paid. It sounds like he did not account to you.

    I do not know if he accounted for the both of you to your ex-roommate. You may have to sue both of them in small claims court if it is less than $10,000.

    Let them prove what they each did in court. You can consult with an attorney, and ask the court to reimburse you for this if you are the prevailing party.

    Good luck.

    This is general legal advice intended for informational purposes only and does not create and attorney/client... more

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Edwin Arnold Anderson

Can I Break My Lease Early?

This question comes up on Avvo a lot. I'm writing this guide for reference so that you might be able to find it. Remember, every situation is different. Don't merely rely on this guide--... more

Renting property

Rentals are houses, apartments, or similar where the resident pays the building's owner for the right to live there, usually under the terms of a written lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,971 answers this week

2,772 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,971 answers this week

2,772 attorneys answering