Ex refuses to work and live off spousal/child support. Can she be ordered to get a job?

Asked over 1 year ago - Reseda, CA

I have been going through a divorce for over 2 years now. Ex has a masters degree and refuses to work and has told me herself she does not want to work. I am having a hard time making ends meet and it would help a lot if she works. Can a judge order her to work? We have joint custody of our two kids 6 and 2.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The judge should tell her to get off her behind, have you addressed this issue with a judge. What did the Judge say, I would seek an Order stepping down child and spousal support to her. Ask her to produce all the job applications filled out for the last six months.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a tough situation. You should hold her accountable to seek a job by asking the court for a seek-work order. If granted, she would have to report the efforts she is making in seeking a job.


    -Sanjay Paul, Esq.

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You have the right to ask the court to set support based on your former spouses ability to earn, that is called imputing income to her. To maximize your potential for the court to impute income to your former spouse, you should consider asking the court to order a vocational evaluation of your wife. There is a cost to retaining such an expert to perform the evaluation, but the reduction in support may make the evaluation cost effective. The expert will conduct tests and interviews with your ex, as well as research the job market for available jobs for which your wife could qualify, prepare a report and testify in court.

    The court must also find that it is in the children's best interest that your ex work, but since you share custody that seems like a reasonable finding for the court to make.

    If you can not afford an expert, the alternative is to file for a support hearing and request the court advise your wife of her financial obligation to herself and the children, and make an order requiring her to seek employment. If she fails to comply with the courts order you would be in a position to request that the court make an order reducing your support . I recommend you see an experienced family law attorney to represent you on this issue. I hope this helps.

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now