Skip to main content

Ex not paying mortgage on marital home

Pinellas Park, FL |

Courts determined that she would live and pay for marital home until son graduates from hs in 2 years then home to be sold. She has not made a payment in 2 months. This is the second time she has done this and it hurts my credit. I can't afford to pay child support, my bills and her bills or a lawyer. Can I make her pay and pay on time?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If the ex-wife is directly violating a court order, as it appears, you can apply to the court in your divorce case for a finding of contempt and for sanctions. A motion to the court for civil contempt and an order to show cause would be appropriate at this point. The court will craft the appropriate remedy, but you are still obligated to the bank by contract. The court has not altered that contract, and you may be subject to credit dings and a foreclosure judgment if the mortgage is not paid by someone.

    The information provided in this and other answers on Avvo are general in nature and limited to the facts as stated. The information provided in this and other answers on Avvo should not be construed as legal advice on which the reader relies without further consultation with an attorney. No attorney-client relationship is created on Avvo question & answer forums. This attorney is licensed and admitted to practice law in the State of Florida only.

  2. Yes, by filing an action against her in Contempt of Court. You have the right to file to enforce the orders of the Court. If the order says that she is obligated to pay, on time, she is not permitted to simply damage your credit by arbitrarily ignoring the orders of the court You have the right to hire counsel and file to enforce your rights. I suggest that you do so. Good Luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

  3. You can file a motion with the court however if she does not have the ability to pay she will not be held in contempt. Or you can sell the house now. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659

  4. You can enforce an order of the court, but it's not easy or simple. If you can't afford a lawyer, in my opinion you have reduced your chances of success to slim and none.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics