Skip to main content

Ex husband remarried for years but didn't tell me so he didn't have to pay more in child support

Watertown, MA |

My ex husband remarried 3 years ago without tell me or my children. We live in the same state! I found out that he didn't tell me or the courts because he didn't want them to increase his child support payments since his new wife makes 100K per year. He is also working under the table and has been for some time. He only pays $600 per month for our two kids, one of which is in high school. This isn't nearly enough given that our youngest child has pyschiatric issues which is very costly for me since I'm a single mother. Can he get away with this? Can I get a modification in support and receive "retro" pay for the past 3 years? How can I prove he is working under the table (pictures...)?

Also, my husband was an illegal immigrant. With his marriage he also got his green card which I didn't know either.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I am sorry you are goiing through this, you need to bring your original divorce/separation agreement to a local attny, go over the facts and see if retroactive benefits are possible in your jurisdiction, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. You are mistaken. A new spouse's income is not considered for child support calculations. So put that idea away.
    However, if an ex spouse's living expenses are reduced by the contributions of the new spouse, it is possible to get an increase in child support on that basis. This is difficult to prove; the ex would have to submit honest financial information as part of the discovery in a Complaint for modification.
    If you think you want to pursue this, consult with a family law attorney in your area.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice specific to your case, please consult with a local attorney

  3. His remarriage is generally totally irrelevant to the assessment of the amount of child support.

    Sent from Molto for iPad

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

  4. I just wanted to tweak Attorney Matta's comment: child support will be recalculated based on income as of the date of temporary order hearing and/or trial, and potentially retroactively back to the date the other person was given notice of the complaint for modification.

    Also, there are things you can do to prove imputed income (and aim high so as to increase the order) and/or a reason to go above the Guidelines based on your child's mental health issues.

    There are new Guidelines in effect as well; this may have an impact on the current Guidelines calculations.

    You should consult with a lawyer to calculate the Guidelines under a couple of scenarios and let you know what all of your options are. You may also (depending on the divorce judgment) have the right to seek attorney's fees as part of the modification.

    This message does not contain confidential information, is intended for the discussion of abstract legal issues, and does not create a co-counsel or attorney-client relationship in the absence of a written fee agreement. Do not post a reply to this message with confidential information. If you wish to communicate confidential information, you should contact me directly at; I would be happy to offer a free consultation concerning your case.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics