Ex has been using credit cards to run his non-profit and his own business; I will be held liable for these debts?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ojai, CA

My husband has been financing his non profit, and his business through using credit cards for the last 5 years or so. Now our "family" finances and purchases are all intermingled. He considers our home part of his non profit. Some of the purchases were obviously for business promotion, or promoting his "ministry." He ran up about 30k in debt. He filed for divorce. Now what? I don't think he knows what he's done. He's claiming it is community debt and we are both responsible.

Is there paperwork (in California) for me to try to sort through this? This is a MESS. I don't have money for an attorney at this time, I hired someone to help with doc preparation but that's all I can afford right now.

1. Paul Francis Easlick

3

Answered . Ask this question to the attorney representing you in your divorce. If you don't have an attorney, get one right away. Way too much is going on here to try to answer this question in a forum like this.

2. Richard Scott Lysle

1

Answered . Your problem will require that an attorney review all of the documents and the factual background. Because the situation is a "mess", the attorney will charge for his/her time. The attorney is entitled to be paid to do this. After all, the attorney did not receive any of the marital benefits that you received in the relationship.

As to liability to third party creditors, it is not what your husband says, it is what the creditors will contend.

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . This is a repost of another question. . .

4. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

Answered . You need to read http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?s...
    During disclosures and financial discovery those issues can be settled or be of an adjudication
    You need an attorney that understands financial issues and accounting procedures