Ex-Fiancee in forecloure and I'm being included in court paperwork. How do I get my name off?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

She put me on the deed years ago. I'm NOT on the mortgage. Now she's being foreclosed and the court has me included in the paperwork. How do I get my name unattached from this? I'm afraid it will affect me from getting a mortgage in the future.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Even if you did not sign the note, the lender MUST include you in the process because you are on the deed. Typically, they do this to avoid liability in cases where the innocent party (you) does not know that the debtor has stopped paying the debt. If you were so inclined, you could pay off the arrears and save the home. The lender cannot actually come after you for the deficiency and it will not hit your credit. They just have to show that they have notified anyone that MAY have an interest in the property. You may notice that they also reference "Unknown Tenants" in case someone is renting the home. To be safe, you should have a real property attorney review the papers you were served with to confirm what I have just told you. If, for some reason, they HAVE included you in the foreclosure action as an interested party, then some action would need to be taken to get your name removed.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate,... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Ms. Johnson is correct. Because your name is on the deed, the bank must include you in the foreclosure.

    You could offer to quitclaim your interest to the bank in exchange for a release from the lawsuit.

    However, before you do so, you should do a cost benefit analysis to determine if you might receive any money after the foreclosure and sale. Surplus funds are rare - but it sometimes happens.

    You should consult a local attorney.

    I am not a FL attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,147 answers this week

2,872 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,147 answers this week

2,872 attorneys answering