Ex-Fiancee in forecloure and I'm being included in court paperwork. How do I get my name off?

She put me on the deed years ago. I'm NOT on the mortgage. Now she's being foreclosed and the court has me included in the paperwork. How do I get my name unattached from this? I'm afraid it will affect me from getting a mortgage in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Attorney Answers (2)

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Sorry-you will not get your name off-they name every possible person that might have an interest in order to have a clean title for the next owner.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

Real Estate Attorney - Toms River, NJ

Because your name is on the deed, the bank must include you in the foreclosure.

You could offer to quitclaim your interest to the bank in exchange for a release from the lawsuit.

However, before you do so, you should do a cost benefit analysis to determine if you might receive any money after the foreclosure and sale. Surplus funds are rare - but it sometimes happens.

You should consult a local attorney.

I am not a FL attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.