Ex boyfriend gave me a cocktail ring claims was n engagement ring. I have an email that states I told him I would not remarry.

Asked over 1 year ago - Shreveport, LA

Do I have to give it back and if I go to court do I have a chance since he admits I told him I would not remarry.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Wade T. Visconte

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . It sounds like you have a dispute that may be headed to court. You should ask yourself whether you can afford to hire an attorney to fight the issue if he sues, or can you competently defend yourself if you can't hire an attorney and he does? No disrespect intended, but if suit is filed, THE COURT will end up deciding if the ring is an engagement ring, NOT YOU. Generally, Louisiana law provides that an engagement ring is given on the condition of a marriage actually occurring. If the condition is not fulfilled, the engagement ring must be returned because the ring is "consideration" for a contract that was never fulfilled. If the ring was not given in contemplation of a future marriage, but was a token of his care for you, then the court may view the gift as a donation where ownership was transferred at the time you actually received the ring. I am sure there are facts which you and he will disagree on that will make the legal issues more murky.

    Wishing you the best,

    Wade T. Visconte

    1500 North Market Street, Suite C-106
    Shreveport, LA 71107
    Phone: 318-918-1245
    email: allamericanlawfirmofla@comcast.net

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is made available by the lawyer or law firm for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the legal services you may need, not to provide legal advice. No representation of accuracy is made about the information presented in this answer. There is no attorney client relationship between you and us. This law firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this answer in a state where this site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. This answer should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,648 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,648 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering