Asked about 2 years ago - Bolingbrook, IL

If my ex is stating to my childrens doctors that the existing court order has become obsolete and a new one issued which prevents me from obtaining simple medical records for my two children, what if anything can be presented in future court proceedings that her actions are destructive?
The doctors worked with me and forwarded all the information last night when I explained to them that there was such "decree" and the one in place for the last 8 years is still enforce?

Can my ex's deliberate actions in preventing me to access my childrens medical records be used in future court proceedings?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The answer is maybe. Keep good records. The law clearly states that both parents are entitled to records held by third parties, unless there is an order to the contrary.

  2. Jenette M. Schwemler

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Keep good records regarding your ex's attempts to prevent you from getting the child's medical records. This may not carry the day in a hearing, but if you have other evidence in addition, it will be helpful in future proceedings like a change of custody or a termination of joint custody.

    Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering