Skip to main content

Evidentiary hearing for failure to list P/I case in bankruptcy

New York, NY |

Trustee is contesting my participation in exemptions due to failure to list P/I case as asset

Attorney Answers 5

  1. This is serious. Be sure to discuss it with your bankruptcy attorney. Yes, a trustee can dis-allow any applicable exemption due to your omitting this asset from your petition. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

  2. You could lose your discharge over it.

  3. I guess you are asking if the trustee can do what he or she is doing & the answer of course will be decided by the judge.

    The issue is why you did not list the personal injury case in your bankruptcy petition?

    If it was an honest mistake, such as you had no intention of starting a law suit (assuming none had been started when you filed bankruptcy OR you thought the question in the Statement of Financial Affairs regarding law suits did not mean personal injury suits, whether because the case was not put into suit or you thought it meant collection law suits against you, you should be ok.

  4. As has been pointed out, the big question is *why* you didn't list it.

    Once the trustee relies upon the lack of exemption, it is generally too late to amend your exemptions.

  5. Amend the petition and list the PI case. If there was bad faith the Trustee would still have an objection. If you do not have a lawyer, get one.

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics