Evidence questn

Asked about 2 years ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

I'm a tenant plaintiff suing a landlord, if I have documentary letters to the landlord with the signed certified returned receipts for each, proving the landlord received the letters, and did not respond, is this evidence and proof of what the letters say?
(I don't really live in SLO, am afraid to say where I live)

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, such letters could be used as evidence in support of your case in chief, or in your cross-examination of the landlord.

2. Frances Miller Campbell

Pro

5

1

Answered . Yes, the letters are evidence of what you told the landlord, and evidence that the landlord received the communications.

3. Michael Charles Doland

4

1

Answered . Yes, as Mr. Chen points out the letters could be used as evidence or in cross-examiniation. However, the contents of the letters may not necessarily prove the contents. E.g. you promissed me if I leased from you that I would become an astronaut. Failure to answer a letter may not be proof of much. This is very fact specific beyond the California rules of evidence.

4. Melissa F. Mack

4

1

Answered . As the other attys wrote, your certified return receipts prove that you sent letters to your landlord, but if you are asking if his/her non responsiveness proves your allegations by default, the answer is no.
    Now, if the landlord does not appear in court, that is a different analysis, but not responding to letters does not prove anything other than the fact that he or she did not respond to you. That can show nonfeasance in court, and it does not hurt your case, but it does not establish your case.

Why are you suing your landlord in the first place?

Best!
    Melissa Mack, Esq.
    Alameda, CA