Eviction Question: Could you clarify the "business day" rules of a 3-day notice to pay or quit served on tenant?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

Everything I've read says that if the 3rd day of a pay or quit notice lands on a weekend or holiday, then rent is not due until the next business day. But what about *serving* the notice? Is it fine if it is served on the weekend? In this case rent (with hostile tenants) was due on Friday, and I want to serve on Saturday. Does the "3-day" clock start on Saturday?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

2

Answered . Yes, you can serve the notice on any day. The clock starts the next day. So, if you serve it on a Saturday rent is due Tuesday assuming Tuesday is not a holiday.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . You can serve a 3 day notice on any day of the week. The clock starts on the next day. Therefore, if you served the notice on Saturday, the clock starts on Sunday and the rent must be paid by the end of day on Tuesday.

3. Phillip Brooks Rose

Pro

1

1

Answered . The notice cannot expire on a weekend or holiday. The practical effect of this is that a notice served on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday will always expire on the same day, Monday for example unless of course Monday is Holiday. In the case above where Monday is a holiday and the notice was served on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday the notice will expire on Tuesday. This means an Unlawful Detainer can be filed on the next business day, Wednesday in this example.