Evasive discovery responses

Asked over 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Plaintiff has been given ample opportunity to revise his responses so they are proper. Unfortunately he is still being evasive. What is the next natural step? Motion to strike answers? Motion to dismiss? Motion for sanctions? Any other Motion?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Benjamin J. Comin

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . In addition to the response above, a motion to compel is also recognized in the Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure. Your motion will be heard by the discovery commissioner who is usually very firm with evasive responses. I would suggest you first look at the discovery commissioner opinions listed on the state bar website that will give you an idea of how they are dealt with.

  2. Donald Curtis Kudler

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . More specifically, check out the local Rules for the Eighth Judicial District Court at http://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/EighthDCR.... Check out Rule 2.20 and 2.34. Also, make sure to keep track of all attempts to resolve the issue as these will be needed in any Motion filed to the Discovery Commissioner via Affidavit or attaching copies of the written communications.

    The Discovery Commissioner will determine whether or not the Plaintiff need provide amended answers and what sanctions, if any, and will be awarded at that time and in the future should the Plaintiff fail to amend the answers appropriately.

    Hope this helps.

    /s Donald Kudler

    This answer does not create an attorney client relationship and does not constitute legal advice, but is solely... more
  3. James Juo

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If you want to compel a proper response to your discovery requests, a motion to compel would be appropriate. In federal practice, the governing rule is FRCP 37. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,703 answers this week

2,864 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,703 answers this week

2,864 attorneys answering