Ethics issue

Gallatin, TN |

If I show a lawyer that is representing a client that their client is currently in gauge in committing crimes against the public can the lawyer still represent them

1. Yes. Lawyers represent criminals every day. Depending on the crime you show to the attorney and depending on if it has already happened or is going to happen, it might create a duty for the attorney to report the activity. It might also persuade the attorney to withdraw but it will not force the attorney to quit representing his client.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Tennessee you may contact me for a free consult.

2. Of course! We're it otherwise, no one accused of a crime could have a lawyer!

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

3. Absolutely. That attorney has ethical rules s/he must obey in regard to putting the client on the stand, and if it is a certain kind of crime then the attorney has to report it. Namely a crime which would cause severe bodily injury or death.

It is doubtful the lawyer would even speak to you.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

4. Yes. The lawyer's duty is to his client. Regardless of what other's tell him. This is a fundamental principle of American jurisprudence and the Attorney Client relationship. Our legal system would not function otherwise.

There are very rare exceptions (e.g. imminent death or bodily harm; a lawyer cannot be party to a crime or fraud) but very broadly speaking, the answer to your question (Can the lawyer still represent the alleged criminal) is YES.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, you may contact me for a free consultation.