Ethics issue

Asked almost 2 years ago - Gallatin, TN

If I show a lawyer that is representing a client that their client is currently in gauge in committing crimes against the public can the lawyer still represent them

1. Jon Daniel Long

4

Answered . Yes. Lawyers represent criminals every day. Depending on the crime you show to the attorney and depending on if it has already happened or is going to happen, it might create a duty for the attorney to report the activity. It might also persuade the attorney to withdraw but it will not force the attorney to quit representing his client.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . Of course! We're it otherwise, no one accused of a crime could have a lawyer!

3. Daniel Sage Ward

1

Answered . Yes. The lawyer's duty is to his client. Regardless of what other's tell him. This is a fundamental principle of American jurisprudence and the Attorney Client relationship. Our legal system would not function otherwise.

There are very rare exceptions (e.g. imminent death or bodily harm; a lawyer cannot be party to a crime or fraud) but very broadly speaking, the answer to your question (Can the lawyer still represent the alleged criminal) is YES.

4. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

Answered . Absolutely. That attorney has ethical rules s/he must obey in regard to putting the client on the stand, and if it is a certain kind of crime then the attorney has to report it. Namely a crime which would cause severe bodily injury or death.

It is doubtful the lawyer would even speak to you.