Ethics Complaint

Camden, NJ |

Where can you get more information on filing an ethics complaint? Are things like false billings, unnecessary charges, etc. considered unethical?

Most disputes about fees are not ethical issues, but simple fee disputes. If you believe the lawyer actively did something unethical, i.e. purposely double billed, that could be an ethical issue.

Fee arbitration https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/oae/fee_arb/fee_arb.htm

Ethics complaints https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/oae/atty_disc/atty_disc.htm#filing

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

The first thing before filing a complaint would be to meet with the lawyer to make sure you have a complete understanding of the billing.
The next thing is to discuss it with him/her if you dispute some charges.
Once that's resolved and you still have a dispute, Ms. Ellis has given a starting point.

Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and a resolution depends on a thorough review of applicable facts and law. No attorney can guarantee a particular outcome or result.

As Philip suggested, sitting down to talk about what you think was done improperly typically goes a long way to help you understand (in some instances) that nothing improper was done - or if it begins with evasion and shady looking explanations, then your suspicions seem to hold water and you should pursue them.

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.