Ethical/Unethical Lawyer Behavior?

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

My sister and I recently had to obtain a lawyer for my 80-year-old father who was injured in a car accident for which he was not at fault. The lawyer presented himself very well at initial consultation. Now that the work has begun, we've become concerned about his performance.

I recently called on my father's behalf (from my mother and father's home - with the two of them sitting right there with me) to inquire about a letter he'd sent us and about the case and some of the things he was advising. He became very agitated when I questioned him about his advice. During the conversation he said some things that were very alarming to me. By the end of the conversation, he had spiraled out of control and I had to continuously ask him to agree to end the call because he was "out of sorts."

I told him that he was yelling and that I thought we should end the call until he was more calm (another day). He just kept yelling that he was not angry, but that I was. I finally was able to get him off the phone. The next day my father received a certified letter from the lawyer stating that I was very abusinve and beligerent with him and that he would not take any calls from me and that I could not come to his office, etc.
My parents were shocked at the letter, since they were sitting right there with me during the conversation.
Is this ethical behavior? Is he allowed to make these false claims to get out of answering my questions? What recourse do I have?

After 25 years of being involved with representing people, I have learned that there are two sides to every story. Nevertheless, to answer your question:
1. Have Dad and Mom execute a letter to the lawyer sent certified and tell him to stop working on the file immediately. Then tell him a new lawyer will be taking over the file. Then go get a new lawyer.

IF everything you said is true, you might be able to file a grievence against him. YOu could have both mom and dad give you a limited power of attorney, which would allow you to act on their behalf as to the lawsuit. Then the lawyer would have to respond to your questions.

Good luck

First of all I have to say Sir. There's nothing simple about this situation also your recommendation is helpful to who? I'm not sure? unsympathetic words What I am sure of is an attorney, blatantly disrespecting an abandoned 50% white child , a black disable man ,a black American family with origins from Africa. Not by our choice!!!, her job, her duties, her responsibilities to her client. The city in which she works at county in which she resides a state which she hails from and the American Constitution. These accusations go unchallenged to this day!!! This is about a month and a haf old now dying as we speak . I need action not be unhelpful words. Nor some kind of legal test, you can take? If not call your colleagues, show me how to raise a penny funds to mount a legal defense this quiet anarchy in the justice system, where I'm from, must not prevail and blatant disrespect for the United States Constitution. I say again, sir, is misrepresentation of the client's wishes in crime withholding evidence refusing to call witnesses. 1, All the witnesses!!! 2,Still refusing before and after learning of clients wishes. 3, When she knew them from the start,4, Not send a letter to the judge! In fact advised against re-opening the case to the judge! 5, Not defendant me before the judge, 6,Never defending the child rights from the day he was taken. 7, Not acknowledging that the police force in this jurisdiction did nothing while drug addicted violent vagrants and felons had a small child not helping me get the child back. No child after five days refusing to acknowledge a call was ever made. Letting me alone in my weakened state by PAD surgery stitches a month after the surgery. The beat down In both legs by police department, sheriff department and stabbed in the arm by paramedic still going out and searching for this child. Not helping me get the child back to this day not acknowledging that the social service center had full knowledge of the child at the time of this incident and from lack of communications between departments, which the police already knew of these very sick people to and refusing to stop the eviction of me and my family because of this tragic situation starting over two years ago. What ever happened to a speedy and fair trial. They have second trial almost 2 years later, she brings another plea-bargain to the table, after we had won the first trial by way of self-defense against the paramedic that said that I bit him not that I try. But then I bit him, and on that fateful day, four times Alfred plea-bargain four times came my way via my public defender on day whole issue defending dare i say. I tried to fire her on this day once this day three and all, the judge refused me again. It's on the order. I have in my possession I guess it skipped over this county? Boy, I could sure users some friends, right here in the good old USA? Forgive my grammar, David Slaughter

I can only answer this question from the perspective of Texas Law and it may or may not have application in Georgia, and based only on the facts as you presented them ( probably no recording was made of the conversation). To answer you questions: First, an abusive or disruptive or angry attorney is not acting in an ethical manner; so the behaviour is not ethical. Second, such behaviour is not an excuse for an attorney to fail to communicate with you. It is unethical for him not to answer you in a manner that insures you will understand. Third, in Texas if you terminate an attorney without cause, he can still maintain an interest in your case, and another attorney may not be interested in taking your case if the previous attorney is still claiming a 1/3 or more interest. Thus, if the attorney continues to improperly discharge his responsibilities to you and your family, you need to ask him to withdraw and relinquish any interest he has in your family's file. His failure to do so may become the subject of a grievance and you should consult with an attorney in Georgia about filing a complaint with the Georgia Bar Association.

Professional ethics topics