Ethical requirement of attorneys and judges

Cordova, TN |
Filed under: Professional ethics

Are attorneys and judges required by their code of ethics to report ethical misconduct of their peers when they have definitive proof of misconduct.

Yes. In Tennessee it is Rule 8.3, but under some circumstances rule 1.6 may not allow reporting or excuse not reporting. Contact one of the attorneys/judges in question about the alleged misconduct and ask about their duties under rule 8.3

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Yes, they are required to report misconduct. Here is a link to the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility that has information on the ethical requirements of attorneys in TN.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

Below you can link over to the Code of Judicial conduct for more information.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics