Ethical law of morality of the duty of a Minister,Pastor, etc.

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Is there recourse to sue for damages a Minister for knowing marrying an 18 yr and 21 yrs old man without either parent knowing. Considering the 18 yr old frame of mind is that of a child mind heavily influnced by whatever the 21 yr old says and does. shouldn't a family member been notified to discuss the union of this matter before marrying young by law age of 18 yr old

1. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

5

1

Answered . There is no such duty; an 18 year old is an adult.

*Informing* other parties against the wishes might breach a duty, though.

2. Richard S. Johnson

Pro

3

1

Answered . The age of consent for marriage is 18 in Nevada so the person performing the ceremony has not legal obligation to notify the parents. Whether a moral or ethical obligation exists is a very different question and the answer is probably no. A faith-based minister would hopefully feel a moral obligation to notify the parents if there was some concern about the true well being of either person. However, if the ceremony took place at one of Las Vegas' many wedding chapels, I wouldn't expect much.

If you would like a free consultation, call me at 702-823-3333. www.naimidilbeck.com
  3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

1

Answered . No. Legal adults.