Estimating Legal Costs, Best Practices

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

In choosing to defend oneself or to accept a settlement a client has to be able to estimate legal costs.

1.They need to determine if they can win. That means win + legal costs has to be better than the settlement offered.
2.They need to find out about the process. There is no Handbook that I know of that talks about example costs of discovery, court cost, deposition costs etc.
3.There is no Handbook on how to structure the agreement with the lawyer like contingency etc.

My question is is there a way to find this out for free because in middle of a case and change in tactics, a lawyer would charge to explain their strategy which I find unfair. That is far more expensive than a handbook.

1. Michael Charles Doland

4

Best Answer

Answered . There is no abstract formula or handbook. All the lawyers I know can rather accurately estimate their own legal expenses. Equally, no lawyer I know can predict how opposing counsel will act and what legal costs that will entail.

When you have a case based on specific facts, find a lawyer who will do this analysis for you for free. I predict you will have no difficult find numerous lawyers prepared to do this analysis with you in anticipation of being retained.

2. Pamela Koslyn

5

1

Answered . legal work is an art, not a science, so there's no "handbook" that encapsulates many years of practice and experience. Trying to explain strategy to a client often goes over their head, or at least some of it does, so it may not be time well spent anyway.

It's not easy for a lawyer to pick up representation in the middle of a case, and since lawyers aren't bookies, we don't give odds of winning, although we can tell you if an argument is a good one or not.

No real shortcuts here. You need to see a lawyer to evaluate your case and determine if a settlement offer is good or not. Plan to hire one to get a well-considered opinion, but be prepared to pay the lawyer you hire for their time.o a client would

3. Justin C. Lowenthal

4

1

Answered . To answer your question, no, there is no way to find this information out without working directly with an attorney who has reviewed your case. Each case is different and therefore each element of the case may be more or less expensive than other similar cases. If you are concerned that a new lawyer might charge to explain their analysis of and plan for the case, speak with the attorney beforehand and request that they do so as a complimentary service, in the interest of possibly securing your business. Many attorneys will not spend hours working with you without compensation, so this may be difficult.

4. Ross Carlton Meltzer

Pro

4

1

Answered . I agree with counsel. There may be some lawyers who will provide you with a free consultation and perhaps you can gain a better understanding of the process through this consultation. However, you should not misinterpret that a skilled lawyer is more likely to effectively argue your case than you could do in pro per. Therefore, you should strongly consider hiring a lawyer even if it costs you some money.