Estimated time for a ruling

Asked 12 months ago - Victorville, CA

My husband is an inmate in a federal correctional facility. If he filed a Writ of Habeas Corpus for over served time what is the general estimated time for the judge to rule on the petition. He filed it in June and it has been over a month since the respondent had to have an answer and my husband answered back. Everything is just waiting for a ruling. Just seeing the general estimate of time on items such as this, or if there is a motion that he can file to have the judge rule??? Thanks.

1. Greg Thomas Hill

5

2

Answered . Be patient. It is not uncommon for two months to pass. Be careful on pushing a judge to rule fast, as it may backfire. A judge who thinks someone in prison has a sense of entitlement is never a good thing. Be careful.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

3

1

Answered . Really, writs of habeas corpus filed when a person is in custody really do take a long time. You just have to be patient. It is not uncommon for such writs to take months to resolve.

3. Brian K Wanerman

2

1

Answered . I don't believe there is any set time limit for a ruling. But, if all that's happened if filing, reply and response, it sounds like there hasn't been any argument. Maybe a future date has been set for this. Your husband should consult his attorney