Skip to main content

Estimated EB2 green card process time

Pasadena, CA |

According to USCIS
it takes 4 months for I-485, Application for Employment Authorization takes 3 months (I'm applying with F-1 academic student), 3months for I-765.
Does this mean that the estimated processing time for EB2 is 10 months?

Also, I'm a citizen of some country that is not willing to renew passports to educated people. So if my passport from my country expires "during" the EB2 process, can I still get the green card?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No really it might be less. But we need more information to answer. For example, has the PERM Labor been filed or are you filing under EB1 or National Interest waiver, etc.
As for the passport I do not see any issue. But ultimately you will need a new passport to travel abroad even with the GC.

Shah Peerally, Attorney at Law President of Shah Peerally Law Group PC Newark CA Important: The above is provided for educational purposes only. You should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. Cases differ and success in one case might not constitute guaranty of success in your case. We recommed to talk to a licensed attorney before you proceed. For more information on call us on 510 742 5887


10 months is probably the very minimum. It can take more time, particularly if the Department of Labor selects the labor certification for either audit or supervised recruitment.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It will take longer. You forgot to include the PERM processing time.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer