Estate Attorney said Dad wanted to make some minor changes to his will so attorney sent a new will. He said Dad & step-mom sat

Asked about 1 year ago - Severn, MD

on new will because he never heard back about it . Then Dad died from dementia after 2 yrs . Tax attorney says the first will was destroyed ( per step mom ) & that Dad doesn't have a will . Step mom told me Dad didn't have a will , evidently not going into detail . I don't think someone so articulate would destroy old will without having new will . Also , Dad had Living Will , Durable Power of Attorney , Power of Attorney , & burial arrangement papers drawn up . So for sure , Dad had a will at one time . Who destroyed will Dad or step - mom ? Attorney said Dad had some IRA intentions for his 3 grown kids & was sure step - mom was the type of person to honor those intentions by setting up trusts . However , I am doubtful because for 30 years I have watched her show partiality to her grown children .

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

9

1

Answered . You need to hire an attorney to assist you.
    Proving step mom destroyed will is a difficult process.
    Proving the will is loss and should be restored is also difficult.
    This forum cannot replace an attorney relationship to guide you through this difficult time.

2. Dana Whitney Atchley

5

Answered . I whole-heartedly agree with the first answer. Even just from the facts you've described this is a complicated case, which almost certainly means that it's even more complicated than that. You will definitely need an experienced probate attorney - and one who has experience with will contests and litigation against other claimants to an estate - in order to get things resolved. This is definitely not a matter for you to try and handle on your own.

3. Matthew Erik Johnson

3

Answered . An attorney is absolutely essential in this type of case. I agree with the others