Essential Oils in the Workplace

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I work in an office in Los Angeles and one of my co-workers saturates himself in self-mixed essential oils before coming into the office. I have serious respiratory allergies and I become congested, start coughing, get a sore throat and splitting headache shortly after he arrives. Several other co-workers have approached him and asked him not to wear the oils because it makes them ill and his response was that they were over reacting and he subsequently encouraged other people in the office to wear his home mixed oils. I have complained to management that these oils are making me ill to no avail. What can I do -- outside of resigning from work? Thanks.

1. David Vincent Hiden

Pro

10

Answered . In addition to MIchael's excellent advice, you can file a worker's compensation claim which will get their attention and get you care, if you believe medically it is severe enough to do so. Also, put your complaints in writing via email to the HR or manager of your office so there is a paper trial. Again, DO NOT quit your job - doing so will eliminate your ability to receive unemployment. Document everything and make sure to send emails to your work so you have a record of your complaints.

2. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

9

Answered . If you have an allergic reaction to the oil, bring in a doctor's note confirming this is a medical issue and give it to your HR manager. Employers must attempt to reasonably accommodate employees with qualified disabilities.

Employers also have a legal obligation to maintain a safe work environment. If this employee's aroma is making other employees ill, you have the right to complain without fear of retaliation. If the employer refuses to do anything about correcting the problem, do not quit, see an employment law attorney in your area for advice and assistance.

3. Brad S Kane

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with both excellent answers. I would just suggest that you document your request for assistance in writing. If possible, scan and attach the doctor's note to an email requesting assistance from the Human Resources department. If possible, set the email up so you get a read e-mail receipt. This will prevent a dispute later over whether (and/or when) your complained about the problem.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

6

Answered . This is likely going to be a difficult and intricate issue for your employer. I do not believe your claims of an allergic reaction (assuming that a physician will actually make such a definitive written declaration) will resolve this matter. I have personal experience with about a half dozen such cases. In ALL of those matters that I dealt with, the employee using the oils was advised by independent counsel to interject aggressive claims of discrimination based on national origin (i.e., the use of these oils is claimed to be cultural), religion (the use of the oils is claimed to have some religious significance) and disability (the use of the oils is claimed to have a medicinal affect for the user, and numerous practitioners who will so certify). (You haven't stated whether there are national origin issues re the employee in your workplace, but the essential oils issue is most common with employees from certain regions.)

Your employer will likely begin with an effort to reallocate and reassign individual work areas, but any relocation that results in isolation from other employees for the oils user will likely cause claims of retaliation and discrimination by him. From there, the employer will flail around until the situation is officially troublesome and chronic. In my experience, there is no perfect or fully prudent solution for the employer. In the cases I was responsible for, we ultimately resorted to a "no scent in the workplace rule," applicable to all employees of both genders. That "solution" did not satisfy anyone and did not in even a single instance succeed in preventing protracted and expensive legal processes.

5. David Andrew Mallen

3

Answered . Try the Job Accommodation Network. It is a free service for employers and employees. Maybe they can help you and your employer craft a solution. www.askjan.org

If you come into a discussion with proposed solutions, I think your complaints will be received more favorably.

David Mallen