Errors on traffic ticket

Asked over 5 years ago - Howell, NJ

My son was pulled over for too many passengers with a Provisional License (39:3-13.4)... the officer wrote the description correctly, but wrote the statue # for Driver's Permit Violation (39:3-13.8) instead.

In addition, he wrote the wrong license plate number on the ticket, not the plate number that is on the vehicle and has been since we purchased it and transferred the plates from my previous vehicle.

He also did not check the box indicating that the court appearance is mandatory.

Any chances of beating this ticket?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard Woodley Bailey


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Brinkmeier. These errors are not the type that will result in the dismissal of the summons. Rather, on application of the prosecutor, the court will amend the summons to correct the information. Contact a local criminal defense lawyer to consult whether the lawyer thinks that the prosecutor/court will be willing to amend the ticket to avoid future license issues given the nature of the offense and your son's provisional license.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship; or, constitute either legal advice or attorney advertising. Rather, given the nature of this forum, it is offered solely for information purposes, as a starting point for you to use when speaking directly to a lawyer in your State. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical for you to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions. Do not presume that the law of the State where I practice will apply to the circumstances you are faced with in the State where you are charged. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State before making any decisions about your case.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . These type of errors are likely to be amended and will lkely not result in the ticket being thrown out. Contact a local lawyer to defend your son so he can get the best outcome possible.

    Good luck.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,691 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,691 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering