Errors in divorce papers that were served

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

If my husband served me divirce and custody papers and he has errors on the papers he served such as date we were married and how long I have been a resident in nevada . can i get these papers dismissed and have him revise them and have to have them re served.

1. Joseph W. Riccio

4

Answered . It is not worth doing that. You need to file an Answer and Counterclaim within 20 days of being served. He only has to state a claim in the complaint. The accuracy of that information will be binding in a Divorce Decree.

In your counterclaim, state the correct information.

2. Jill K. Whitbeck

3

Answered . No, you cannot move to dismiss the papers. They are simply his version of the facts, and what he wants. You must file an Answer, wherein you either admit or deny his facts and requests. If you also wish to be divorced, you should also file a counterclaim and state your version of the facts along with your requests. Wasting time and energy on the little stuff is simply not worth it. Focus on getting the divorce itself done. You should at least consult with an attorney, as there are many pitfalls in this process.

3. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . I'll be more blunt than the others: what possible point would there be to that, other than to run up his legal fees.

Get a lawyer and get done with this; the type of fight you're trying to start just makes things more expensive for all parties.

4. Israel Lynda Kunin

Answered . When you file your Answer, you can admit or deny his allegations, including admitting you were married, but denying the date of marriage, for example. You can dismiss the Complaint.