Error on speeding ticket

Beacon, NY |

I heard so many stories how important it is for police to make sure everything on a ticket is correct and if an error is made it can possibly be void. Is this not correct?

1. Judges give citing officers a lot of slack in the writing of a traffic ticket. Minor errors (color of vehicle/make/ model, etc.) can be corrected by the officer during a bench trial. Speeding tickets are usually the word of the driver vs. the police, who are generally favored in a he said /she said controversy. If it is a serious traffic ticket, get an attorney to defend you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

2. The answer is "yes". An error on the ticket could possibly void it. For example, errors that go to the misidentification of the vehicle or motorist can be fatal to the ticket. On the other hand, errors which are clearly typographical will not void the ticket. The next best step is to email me a copy of the ticket for review. mk@michaelkramerlaw.com