Error on speeding ticket

Asked over 1 year ago - Beacon, NY

I heard so many stories how important it is for police to make sure everything on a ticket is correct and if an error is made it can possibly be void. Is this not correct?

1. Frank Mascagni III

11

Answered . Judges give citing officers a lot of slack in the writing of a traffic ticket. Minor errors (color of vehicle/make/ model, etc.) can be corrected by the officer during a bench trial. Speeding tickets are usually the word of the driver vs. the police, who are generally favored in a he said /she said controversy. If it is a serious traffic ticket, get an attorney to defend you.

2. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

10

Answered . Some errors have significance, others do not.

3. Michael A. Kramer

Pro

2

Answered . The answer is "yes". An error on the ticket could possibly void it. For example, errors that go to the misidentification of the vehicle or motorist can be fatal to the ticket. On the other hand, errors which are clearly typographical will not void the ticket. The next best step is to email me a copy of the ticket for review. mk@michaelkramerlaw.com

One or more answers have been taken down.