Error in my naturalization certificate

Cumming, GA |

when i passed the interview in USCIS the immigration officer told me that they need to follow thru birth certificate so they added my middle name to my name , but he put my married name first then my maiden name , my legal name now is NAME , MIDDLE NAME , HUSBANDS LAST NAME , MAIDEN NAME all my legal documents NAME , MAIDEN NAME , HUSBANDS NAME , I just want to use my husband's last name or either my maiden name - then my husbands name , is this considered as an error from The USCIS ? since i am already married when i applied for naturalization , and also that's the name that i used on my green card before , please help

At your interview they asked if you wanted to change your name and what name you wanted on your certificate. They gave you whatever name you wanted, so it is not an error. If you want to change your name, you can do so by filing at your local court for a name change.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Thank you for your response I told the immigration officer that I don't want to drop my maiden name so I want it to add on my married name, he insisted that I need to put first my married name then my maiden name which I know it's wrong but he really insisted it. Is it considered as his error that time I can't do anything about it I want to file for N565 for error. Thanks

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

If you agreed to it, I do not believe that it will be deemed an error. You have a higher chance of success just applying for a name change in court. This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You did not pay attention. Now you will have correction with USCIS and pay for it.