Entitled for pain and suffering for PIP which I am at fault.

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I have a coverage of $10,000 for PIP coverage. Am I entitled to compensate pain and suffering. If so, do the insurance will just be limited for the cap amount remaining after the medical expenses. When can I start to file for compensation to my insurance.

1. Paul Michael Veillon

5

Answered . Unfortunately most PIP policies only pay benefits for reasonable and necessary medical care for at-fault accidents, along with partial wage replacement and domestic services reimbursement. Your claims representative is responsible for fully and completely explain your coverages.

I would recommend filing your PIP claim right away to comply with your duties under your policy.

Fault can be a complicated question, so you may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney even if you think you are at-fault.

Thanks for your inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Best of luck to you.

2. Richard Paul Patrick

5

Answered . Hmm...Well if you are the at fault party, you are not entitled to pain and suffereing. Please call a personal injury attorney to discuss your case. It is very normal for personal injury attorneys to discuss your matter without charging you. Most PI attorneys work on a contingencey fee basis, whcih means they dont get paid unless you recover damages. Your PIP coverage is to cover medical expenses to anyone that was hurt...that is a different pool of money than pain and suffereing is drwawn from. You have 3 years from the date of injury to file a suit for damages in a personal injury case. That is different than the time line detailed in your insurance policy for you to file a claim to cover your losses. Your "questions" mixes appels and oranges in the same grocery bag...seek legal advice immediately to protect your rights. Good Luck.

This is not legal advice.
  3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . My colleagues are both right -- if you are at fault, you don't get pain and suffering damages.

4. Gregory Stuart Marshall

Pro

3

Answered . I cannot tell from your brief statement whether you were injured by another driver who was at fault. If so, you may be able to pursue a claim. Your PIP coverage is available to you regardless of fault. You should not try to settle your claim until you have completed treatment for your injuries, but you should not wait until the statute of limitations expires--which is three years from the date of the accident.

Please consult with a local attorney to discuss your rights and whether you have a claim that you should pursue.

Pro

4

Answered . Best bet is to have a local personal injury lawyer investigate, as you want maximum compensation