Entering the USA on the VWP to visit my girlfriend, we got married spur of the moment.. now what?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

do I need to leave the USA and file the relevant paperwork, or can I do it from here? If I can do it from here, what is the process? And do I have to leave before the end of my 90 days?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

1

Answered . Not if she is a USC and petitions for you are 60 days of your arrival. Consult an immigration attorney since WV can be tricky when it comes to adjustment of status.

2. J Charles Ferrari

4

1

Answered . She petitions you and you may be able to adjust status in the US.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

1

Answered . You can file to adjust in the US but I would not do so without an attorney since WV can be problematic if out of status.

4. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

Answered . One tricky thing in your case will be to prove that you actually didn't already come with the intent to get married and stay in the US. That being said, it doesn't mean it's impossible. You should definitely consult with and retain an immigration attorney to help you with your case.

Feel free to call my office if you would like to discuss it further. Good luck, and congratulations on your marriage!