Entering Canada from Europe as Canadian citizen with outstanding state felony warrant from united states. should I be worried?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

warrant is because I failed to complete probation while living in the states after a felony drug possession charge. I left usa because Im not a citizen and didn't want to live there anymore.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest contacting a Canadian immigration or defense attorney for help with this. It might be wise to hire a locally experienced defense attorney in the US upon your return to Canada to try to allow you complete your probation in Canada and get the warrant recalled. Best of luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Since you are a Canadian citizen, they cannot deny you entry to Canada. However, Canada will see the warrant and hold you pending the request for extradition to California. Whether or not you are extradited depends on 1) where the incident occurred 2) the exact charge 3) the dollar amount on the warrant and 4) the age of the warrant. I would advise you to speak with a criminal defense attorney.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. Thomas Ifversen

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, I would be worried. Unfortunately no attorney in the US is going to be able to give you very good advice. You need to contact a Canadian immigration attorney, not a California criminal defense attorney.

  4. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Potentially you could face issues. This is now Canada's problem to deal with .

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,711 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,711 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering