Enter your question here. Is there a place I can go and take Taxes, W2's etc to prove income to have Child Support Lowered ?

Asked about 3 years ago - South Bend, IN

I have been affected , like many with the economy . And can no longer afford to pay what I do making such a tremendous amount less than when I got Divorced.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Child support orders get modified by the court that initially issued the orders. It is not as simple as showing your income records - you will need to file a motion explaining the legal reasons why your child support should be lowered.

    Many family courts have support services for parties unable to obtain legal representation.

    Hope this perspective helps!

  2. Eliz C A Johnson

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You can petition the court to lower the payments but you don't just show up with your records and ask. There is a process that your divorce attorney can help you with. If you cannot afford the attorney, most courts make the forms you need available on their web sites. You would petition the court and ask them to lower the payments and explain why. It is done all the time. You should at least contact an Indiana attorney.

    Use the AVVO.com web site to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,567 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,567 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering