Enter your question here. Is there a place I can go and take Taxes, W2's etc to prove income to have Child Support Lowered ?

South Bend, IN |

I have been affected , like many with the economy . And can no longer afford to pay what I do making such a tremendous amount less than when I got Divorced.

Child support orders get modified by the court that initially issued the orders. It is not as simple as showing your income records - you will need to file a motion explaining the legal reasons why your child support should be lowered.

Many family courts have support services for parties unable to obtain legal representation.

Hope this perspective helps!

You can petition the court to lower the payments but you don't just show up with your records and ask. There is a process that your divorce attorney can help you with. If you cannot afford the attorney, most courts make the forms you need available on their web sites. You would petition the court and ask them to lower the payments and explain why. It is done all the time. You should at least contact an Indiana attorney.

Use the web site to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support