Skip to main content

Enter with k1 visa. got married within 90days to a US citizen. but was late to file for green card (changing status)

Gonzales, LA |

i got married within 90days. but i was late filing for changing of status. then we went to texas near mexico border ( which is dumb for me to do). went to detention (ICE) at harlingen because my visa expired and i havent filed of the greencard. got out with $1,500 bond. been dealing with the court since 2009 in new orleans they want me to file for i-485 which i did. i got approved for green card (2 yrs greencard) this year. i had court yesterday.then i showed the judge the approval letter from the immigration.. then they said it was odd that i got approved because i am in due process. so they have to wait for the CIS if there is a jurisdiction.. i really dont understand .. why it is odd?? they moved my court date in june. everything is a bona fide and we have a child.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


From the morass you are describing here you definitely need a good immigration counsel for your case. If you truly desire completion and serinity to move on with your life, you would retain a professional who would complete th case correctly.

Being in a J-1 status and arriving lawfully with inspection naturally, as you may imagine, does not trigger any inadmissibility if you depart upon your J-1 visa status expiration for one or another reason (termination of employment or earlier departure to the home country for some reasons).
Even if you intent to seek admission to the Unites States eventually you may explain the present situation of compliance with all requirements, which are, arriving lawfully on a J-1, working at the designated place on J-1 leaving upon the visa termination.
One you would be able to explain the circumstances, I do not envision any problems for your admission to the U.S. on any subsequent visas.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer