Skip to main content

Enhancing probation terms and conditions to align with trial court plea using a Violation of Probation Hearing

Towson, MD |

I was convicted of a felony and was given 10 years. Now I am on mandatory release supervision. The Parole agent put in a violation of probation to align the guidelines P&P wants implemented, but were never agreed to during the trial plea and sentencing. Such as the plea only stated no contact with victims and registration. The agent has put in for a violation of probation to align what P&P wants such as attend meetings and be under a specialized supervision unit, and additional restrictions. I signed the standard Mandatory Parole release papers, and it states on there that additional supervision requirement may be imposed. But if the court didn't sentence me to this, can it now be enforced?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you were represented by counsel in the underlying case, contact your lawyer about this issue. If you were not represented, contact an attorney and them review the conditions and represent you at the VOP hearing. It may be necessary to get a CD recording of the disposition to see what conditions the court imposed.

    This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

  2. I agree with counsel, I'd have a lawyer (whether it's the one who represented you or a new one) to represent you at the VOP. Probation and parole get away with a lot if you don't have someone there fighting for you. Hope that's helpful

  3. In Maryland, a common standard probation condition is to follow your probation officer's lawful orders, but the argument goes that tour agent cannot order you to do anything that the judge explicitly decided you need not do. Beyond that are additional arguments that probation does not allow your agent carte blanche in making orders to you.

    It is time for you to hire your original or a new lawyer to defend you, and to discuss whether you are being accused of violating any probation conditions other than following your agent's "lawful orders".

    Upon finding a probation violation, a judge has the option to order you to serve some or all of tour suspended sentence, and impose harsher probation conditions. All the best to you. Jon

    None of my comments on AVVO's website constitute legal advice. It is only food for thought for possible matters to address with a qualified lawyer. The disclaimer page on my website hyperlinked herein applies to all my answers on .

  4. It sounds to me like you're asking why you have to comply with both parole and probation, and the answer may be because they are two separate things. But without more details and a look at your papers this question is impossible to answer further. Is there some reason you can't ask your lawyer?

    Nothing posted by Mr. Cleckner on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. For actual legal advice, please contact an attorney for a (usually free) in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics