Skip to main content

Engaged with a U.S citizen.We live in Europe and thinking of moving in U.S for couple of years. How can I be eligible for work;

Santa Monica, CA |

I'm Greek and she has both nationalities. Proposed me to move in states. Best option to be eligible to work there?

Attorney Answers 4


To get married 60 days after your arrival in the US and file for agreement card which you should obtain within 30-40 days.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


There's a K-1 fiancée visa, which authorizes you to be in the U.S. for 90 days to get married and file a Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident.

Theoretically that entitles you to a 90-day employment authorization document, but in practice it takes 90 days to get the card, it's worthless. You won't be authorized to work until about 90 days after you file the Form I-485.

So if your main concern is work authorization, then you can either apply for the K-1 fiancée visa before marrying or the spousal immigrant visa after marrying. Of course, there are other issues to consider in deciding between these two visas (e.g., timing, filing fees, whether you prefer to marry in the U.S. or abroad, etc.)

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You cannot based on your facts. You might be, if the circumstances change, like you would get married and decide to permanently relocate to the USA. Otherwise, you would probably need to continue staying in Europe.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You have several options available depending on what you want to accomplish. If you will need to work immediately upon arrival (or as soon after arrival as possible), you should consider the K-3 process and get married in Greece. Adjustment of status might be an option depending on your factual circumstances. You should consult an immigration attorney who can explain the various options and each one's pros and cons.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics