Enforcement of pay over an oral agreement

Asked about 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I worked for a company that now is threatening to sue because the job was not 100% done due to technical difficulties, however i didn't have a contract directly with them, but only an oral agreement with the person that got the contract (he is a business person, and i am the worker).

I received money for the work done, but because the product was not completed they want their entire money back, at least this is what the person which had the contract has told me. He is now pressuring me to return some of the money in quick time, because of the threat of the sue.

I don't know the terms of the contract but i suspect that he didn't take much care in ellaborating it, am i forced to return some money in the time he indicates when really there was nothing previously said about it?

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . You do not have to return any money. The company cannot sue you. It is between him and the company who hired him. If they sue him, he will have a hard time suing you as his employee, but can always claim you breached an independent contractor agreement.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . I agree with Attorney Fink. As a worker for the person who entered into the oral contract, you should not be liable. You do not have to return any money.